Some People Ask, “Why Aren’t My Prayers Being Answered?”
by Fr Richard Heilman | July 19, 2019 9:10 AM
I have often been asked by people why their prayers seem to go unheeded by God.
There could be many reasons for this, including:
- God works in His own timing. So, the answer could still be on the horizon.
- Often God’s answer is different than what we expected, and better than we expected.
- God is a perfect Father. And so, like a great Dad, He does not want to raise spoiled children who do little for God’s mission or little to strive for personal holiness or little to draw closer to God … but then when they need something, they treat God like a candy machine. As a perfect Dad, God wants to draw the “best we can be” out of us. So, God may “delay answers” to get our attention and get us moving, again, in His direction.
There is more to it, but those came to mind.
Moreover, I say to those asking, that God may be using this “lack of response” to show you something that is standing between you and Him; something that could be blocking the flow of grace. So, assuming this person followed the base requirements of the Church, I asked …
- Are you holding out unforgiveness to anyone?
- Are you trusting God – not giving up on Him in anger – and patient that He will move in His timing?
- Are you strictly following the teachings of the Church, and not in league with any organization or political party that stands against these teachings?
- Are you getting to Confession at least once a month, at minimum? A sign you “truly” believe in the supernatural power of grace.
- Are you seeing yourself as a victim to some repetitive sin? Letting it control you as you simply “try?” To quote Yoda: “Do. Or do not. There is no try.”
- Are you taking time to Adore Him before the Blessed Sacrament, outside of Mass? A sign you are “truly” seeking to draw nearer to Him.
- Are you praying the rosary daily? A sign the Mother of God is important in your life.
- Are you extravagantly generous with your time, talent and treasure? A sign that God and His missions have the highest priority in your life … not low man on the totem pole. The greatest “quality time” with your children, is letting them see how important God and His missions are in your life. If they grow up seeing you “squeeze God in” after everything and everybody (including your children) come first, your children will likely lose their faith as adults, as it will never rise to any level of “seriousness” for them.
Strive to be the best you can be; remove blockages to the flow of God’s grace, and WATCH what happens!!
Source URL: https://www.romancatholicman.com/somebody-asked-why-arent-my-prayers-being-answered/
Copyright ©2021 Roman Catholic Man unless otherwise noted.